There are many activity and training pathways and options available to members who wish to get involved as a volunteer life saver and in allied life saver and club support activities https://sls.com.au/pathways/
At a local club level we primarily offer training for volunteer life savers and support personnel for the Bronze Medallion and Surf Rescue Certificate. Course content and online learning modules have been updated for 2021.Surf Life Saving Australia LTD is a recognised provider of training resources under ASQA
1.BRONZE MEDALLION (BM)
Participants in the Bronze Medallion training will complete learning models to acquire practical skills and knowledge in the key areas as required by Surf Life Saving Australia and Surf Life Saving NSW to act in the role of a volunteer life saver as members of a registered Surf Life Saving Club, Shoalhaven Heads Surf Life Saving Club
Requirements and Outcomes :
- Age 15 (by date of final assessment) for Bronze Medallion
- Swim 400m in 9 minutes in a pool or marked open water course
The BM course aligns with the national recognised qualification PUA20119 Cert II in Public Safety (Aquatic Rescue) and the unit of competency HLTAID001 Provide Cardiopulmonary Resucitation
The BM course consists of:
- Online learning modules and assessments
- 7 Sessions at the Club consisting of both Beach and Class based activities plus a final day of scenario based practical assessments.
- After finishing the Bronze Medallion course participants join our patrol teams as volunteer life savers .
2. SURF RESCUE CERTIFICATE (SRC)
Participants in the Surf Rescue Certificate training will complete learning models to acquire practical skills and knowledge in the key areas needed to support patrol activities under guidance of a holder of Bronze Medallion or higher level award:
Requirements and Outcomes
- Age 13 (by date of final assessment) for Surf Rescue Certificate
- Swim 200m in a pool in 5 Minutes
This course aligns with the national recognised units of competency PUAOPE13 Operate communications systems and equipment; PUAOPE012 Apply surf awareness and self rescue skills; PUASAR013 Participate in an aquatic rescue operation; HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
The SRC course consists of:
- Online learning modules and assessments
- 4 sessions at the club consisting of both beach and class based activities plus a final assessment
- Participants who complete the SRC course become active assistants in patrol teams or in support of water safety and age manager roles for Junior Nippers as members of Shoalhaven Heads Surf Life Saving Club. They can opt to progress onto the Bronze Medallion award training from age 15 yrs
- Nippers can complete the SRC in their final year as U14s an then can start to help with Nippers water safety or to support club patrol teams
- Parent helpers are required to complete either the SRC or BM if assisting with water safety for Junior activities
3. GENERAL INFO:
- Recognition of prior learning against unit criteria can be applied for both qualifications. Please discuss your RPL needs with club trainer.
- Holders of the Bronze Medallion can choose to undertake further training units to acquire skills and certification in other SLSA accredited courses IRB Driver, IRB Crew, Advanced Resucitation Techniques Certificate, Silver Medallion (Beach Management), Gold Medallion. Surf Life Saving NSW These courses will be held at Club, Regional Branch or State locations to meet SLS and club determined needs and requirements
Course includes access to online modules, training and mentoring by approved trainers and club mentors and basic issue patrol uniform (Shirt,shorts cap) . Eligible Cadets 13-18 may use NSW Active Kids Voucher .
6.REGISTRATION FOR TRAINING COURSES
All course participants must sign up as member of Shoalhaven Heads SLSC. Complete a surf club new member registration or existing member renewal online at http://sls.com.au/join/ . Enter Bronze or SRC Course course as your category option. Refer to our website registration guide under Tab “Join us for season 2021/22”.
Training: Karl : firstname.lastname@example.org
Club website: www.headssurf.com.au
General Surf Life Saving website www.sls.com.au